The Hampshire Fire Protection District has been established to provide all who have come in contact with the District: professional administration, fire prevention, fire suppression, emergency medical services, specialized rescue services, hazardous materials response, public education, and code enforcement within the statutory limitations, ordinances, and resolutions. The District will strive to provide services while attaining and maintaining the confidence and respect of the people it serves.
The Hampshire Fire Protection District was founded in February of 1931 after a fire destroyed nine buildings in downtown Hampshire. The fire caused around $50,000 in damage back in that time.
In 1961, the department became an official Fire District which allowed for the levying of taxes from residents. In 1962, the first tax funds were received and were used to build a fire station where the current one is today at 202 Washington Avenue.
August 1, 1974, the District began providing emergency medical services. Kathleen Randecker was hired in 1992 as the first full-time Paramedic for the District. In June of 1995, Trevor Herrmann was hired as the first full-time Firefighter / Paramedic.
The station would be staffed from 5 a.m. until 6:20 p.m. on weekdays with personnel on-call during the evenings and on the weekends. Personnel on-call would respond from their home to the station to pick-up the apparatus and respond to the call.
On January 21, 2007, the District began staffing the fire station with four personnel, 24-hours a day. Today, the District continues to staff the fire station 24-hours a day with five personnel on-duty.